Kottke: Guidelines for learning
Nice, concise piece of learning wisdom I just rescued from my email inbox.
1. Release the need to be right.
2. Welcome one another's thoughts and opinions.
3. Suspend judgment.
4. Listen for understanding, not rebuttal.
5. Make personal statements by using "I" rather than "you".
6. Clarify first what was said before you challenge someone.
7. Take time to reflect.
8. Lean into discomfort.
9. Respond first to what was said before making your point.
10. Have fun.
(Seb's Open Research)
:: note :: . . . this guideline has been floating around for a bit now but wanted it here at the beginning of a new term as a reminder every year . . .