Highway's Dilemma

"... There's this attitude out there that only native actors can play native roles. But acting - the verb "to act" - means to pretend to be who you are not, so I don't believe in that idea that you have to be a native to play one. Look at [playwright] Morris Panych - and I don't want to say a word against him, because I adore the man - but what if someone were to come up to him and say, "You're only allowed to work with Polish actors?" He wouldn't have much of a career. If someone were to go up to Atom Egoyan and say, "You can work only with Armenian actors," his career would die tomorrow. There's a very real danger of that happening with native writers. And the older I get, the less interested I become in immersing myself in that problem."(Journey man
The nomadic Tomson Highway talks about writing the first Cree opera
By Martin Morrow,CBCNews.ca
)

- See: Artists
- See: Theater

:: note :: ... certainly not a new dilemma but wish to mark it once again ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heart Play

A Requiem coming

Untamed